Thursday, June 20, 2013

Smog, smoke and Singapore

The Merlion is tearing. Not from the constant action of spurting water that trigger its gag reflex, but from the smoke and smog that have been shrouding the city-state since last Thursday. Yesterday the PSI hit a new high, with it going up to 371 at night. If the PSI is the stock market, I think I would have earned buckets by now.

The PSI was at the "Unhealthy" level when I went out to buy breakfast (in case you are wondering, yes, I was trying my luck to get the jaundiced Harrow Mimi, which went out of stock faster than surgical masks at pharmacy)
Seriously?!



The haze got more severe when I went out with mom later in the morning. I am worried about my mom, because she just would not care about the damn haze, brushing it off as if it comes from incense burning. I still wear my mask, it is better than not wearing anything at all. I asked my friend Yiyi who is still in Taiwan to get masks for us, which looks something like this:
This Comfort Mask from 3M is washable, which lasts longer than disposable ones. Better than throwing away disposable ones everyday.


This photo does not really convey the severity of the current haze situation. But barely 5 minutes at the bus stop I already felt that my lungs were blackened by the minute dust and ashes from the smog. I pity those construction workers, who still have to slogged in such extreme condition. Hope their employer can take their welfare into consideration. Afterall, they are just humans like us, working an earnest living. Everyone should be protected. 

No comments: