Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Across the causeway @ City Square (JB)

It has been a while since I stepped foot on Malaysia. Sam is back, so we took the opportunity to go to one of our favourite places - City Square (JB) -   before she goes back to NZ.

One of the reasons why we like there is due to the lower costs of living. It is at least 20-50% cheaper across the border. And the quality is not compromised. City Square has undergone renovation and the last time we went there most of the shops were boarded up. It has become so new and clean, the restrooms especially ;) Although the haze was just as bad across the border and the mall was a little smoky/blurry, it did not dampen our spirits as there are so many shops to go to and so many eateries we want to try out! 


For one, 許留山 is opened in City Square!! It features most mango desserts available in HK. We did not get to try that as we went to fulfill our palates at Canton-i, a yumcha restaurant. The variety is acceptable, with the basic har-gau-siew-mai-char-siew-bao, and a range of roasted meat all at your selection. 


zhar-leung 炸兩 (fried dough fritters wrapped in steamed rice rolls) 

We ordered teng-zai-jook 艇仔粥 (porridge), fung-jao 鳳爪 (braised chicken feet), zhar-leung 炸兩 (fried dough fritters wrapped in steamed rice) and lau-sar-bao 流沙包 (custard buns). The porridge is up to standard, with the viscosity (?) just nice, not too watery and a lot of ingredients added, making the porridge having a rich flavour. There are shreds of pig intestines tossed in, which Sam did not really like (LOL) and she scooped out whatever bits she could find and dump them into my bowl. The chicken feet is fantastic, I would say, enriched with spiciness but not too intense to drown out the flavour. I really like the lau-sar-pao, as the golden lava oozes out when I bite into the soft bun. The zhar-leung is not too oily, and the soy sauce is tuned to the right saltiness. I would bring my mom to Canton-i  :)

There is a Doraemon roadshow at the atrium, where parents can bring their children and have photos taken with the figures. 
Doraemon roadshow at atrium

There are plushies, lunch boxes and other paraphernalia on sales. The quality is so-so, so I did not want to waste money on that. There was a family of four trying to take photo with the Doraemon and friends boards, and we lent a helping hand to them :) The picture turned out nice haha. 

Yellow Doraemon

Doraemon and Friends
(Sam looks so tall LOL)

We went to Lavender to get some macarons, at RM8 for 2 slices. For every three pieces they will give you a  box to contain the macarons. Have not tried them yet. I also bought an egg tart and steamed Japanese cheesecake. The egg tart is nice, though not fantastic.

Finally we went to Action City to look at the Craftoholic dolls. The price is same as those in Singapore. But I   find the label stitched on the dolls looking suspiciously similar to the counterfeits I saw online -.- Not sure if those dolls are authentic or what. I managed to find cool earphone plugs though. The salesgirl offered to keep for me and she asked me to go take a look first before paying. She was speaking in Malay and I only caught the word "jalan-jalan", I think she meant that haha. Sam was bewildered at my sudden grasp of the Malay language. 

That ended our short trip to City Square. Hope to go there again with mom since it is quite near (less than an hour away) to my house. But I would advise to go on a weekday, since Singaporeans are likely to flock to JB on weekends for getaways. 

My Hello Kitty earphone stud. What a steal (RM 9.8!)




No comments: